New to Upwork and have no idea about this platform? Don’t worry there is detailed guidance coming your way.
Few Words About Upwork
Upwork is another great freelance marketplace like Fiverr. But unlike Fiverr, this is not only for buyers and sellers. Instead, Upwork is about freelancers, clients, and companies. In this article, I will be guiding you towards the Upwork platform, what actually Upwork is, how it works, and how to make an account on this platform.
Brief History About Upwork
Upwork is basically a merged platform of two different platforms namely Elance and oDesk. It was collectively founded as Upwork In 2015. Upwork Global Inc. is an actual name of Upwork.
CEO Hayden Brown is the present CEO of Upwork. As per the report of 2017 Upwork has approximately 14 million users working from 180 countries that increase to 1.8 million more users in 2020. The approximate revenue reported for Upwork is approximately one billion US dollars per year.
Some More Information About Upwork
- On Upwork, the clients are allowed to interview freelancers before hiring.
- The client is allowed to post the job just like job openings in a newspaper, and all details are mentioned in that such as their budget, deadlines, etc.
- The client also has an option to post a job for specific freelancers to apply, or they can also post an open job available for anyone.
- The freelancers are also allowed to contact the client and apply for posted jobs.
- You can also make and register your company on Upwork as an organization and assign different freelancers to different rules.
- Once the job is posted and freelancers or organizations applied to it. Clients can interview the shortlisted ones as per their expertise and rankings.
- Freelancers are also able to see the ratings and job descriptions of clients who are willing to hire them.
- Upwork has an awesome filtering system, in which if you are a freelancer you can search for your dream job. Or if you are a client you can search for a suitable freelancer or organization for your job.
- Moreover, there is another practical approach to this platform. The platform provides fixed-rate jobs and per hour rates for the job as well.
- The Upwork community works based on Upwork connects. That is why sometimes known as connects market.
Be a Freelancer and a Client With the Same Account
Like Fiverr, Upwork allows low you to switch between freelancers and a client account with an easy method but the differentiating thing here is that unlike Fiverr, once you switch your post from freelancer to a client your accounts also switch. That means you will have separate profiles for both roles on one account. Isn’t it cool the second thing about this is that they provide only one skill on one profile like if you are a freelance writer you can only have a freelance writer or related things on that. But, like most of the freelancers if you have multiple sets set you can ma ake specialized profile on it.
Specialized profiles allow freelancers to create a sort of having different modes on one profile. For example, you can create one specialized profile for a freelance writer and a second for graphic design and so on.
How to Create an Account on Upwork
Below is the step by step guide for you so you set up your Upwork account:
- Go to the main website.
- Click on the Sign-up button available on the top right corner of the page.
- Start putting your details such as your first name, last name, and email address then click on get started.
- Fill out your further details such as your country, your password, and choose the role you want to create your account for such as a freelancer or a client.
- After that check out the box that agrees with the terms conditions and click Next.
- They will send you the verification code on your email, so from there confirm your email.
- Your profile is now made. After that set up your profile, choose the skillset set what services you can offer, and click save and continue.
- Now it’s time to set up your profile picture, your title, intro paragraph about you, your education, and employment history.
- Here you can also set your hourly rate and your availability then click review application.
- Click here to get an idea bout the profile setup.
Creating Second Account In This
After your above account is made and you want to also make another account for example you made the account as a client. Now you want to add a freelancer account follow these steps:
- Go to your profile settings and then click the my info tab.
- There will be an option to create a new account click that.
- Then you will be able to select the New freelancer account.
- After creating this account go to your main menu and you can then switch easily between accounts.
- Enjoy working in another large freelance market place.
Wrapping it up, Upwork is an awesome freelance marketplace to work on. Many big companies and organizations also hire freelancers from here. That is why as a freelancer it is important for you to create and set up your account on this marketplace as well as Fiverr. I will be covering other queries related to Upwork in my coming articles. I will also be covering the data of its Fiverr and Upwork are different from each other and which one is better.
For any query, you are welcome to comment below.