Fiverr needs no introduction itself as it is a well known freelance marketplace. If you are doing freelancing I can’t doubt that you might already have your account set up in this largest freelance marketplace like Fiverr.com
This article today is for all those freelancers who are just starting their journey and having a difficult time understanding these freelance marketplaces. I will guide you on what is it actually. How it works and how to create a Fiverr account.
Brief History and Introduction
Fiverr has two owners Micha Kaufman and Shai Wininger. The launched date of Fiverr is Feb’10. It was made with the concept of a marketplace where sellers can sell their services and buyers can buy them. All the services almost all the services one can think of you can find on this particular website.
Fiverr was ranked in the top 100 in the U.S and the top 200 in the world by 2013. By 2012 Fiverr was displaying around 1.3 million gigs as services, and by the year 2019, it listed in the list of Newyork stock exchanges.
Fiverr – A Gig Marketplace or 5$ Marketplace
This freelance marketplace is famous for these two adjacent names with its original one. Many critics and people who worked on Fiverr claim that it’s just a 5$ marketplace. Is it true? Well, not actually, as it’s true that this platform offers services from as low as 5$ but you can get orders there as high as 900$ on one gig. Due to this 5$ minimization sometimes Fiverr know as a 5$ marketplace.
I will cover gigs in another article of mine, but just for a brief introduction is that a gig is basically and advertisement through which freelancers or seller display their skills and experiences. The gig is a unique way on Fiverr other than any of the marketplaces that is why sometimes it is called a Gig marketplace.
Setting Up a Fiverr Account
For the Fiverr registration, go to the website. The account you will make is totally free of charge and you are not supposed to give any money to Fiverr for making up an account on their platform.
- When you go to the website there is an option of Join when you click on that there are 2 options.
- Either you can sign up with Google and Facebook where it will read your profile details and use the same on your Fiverr account.
- The second option is to join using your email address.
- Complete the process step by step here.
- It is important that whatever you are giving on your account is nothing but the truth.
- After signing up to continue with your username and password, the username once set can’t be changed.
- Confirm and activate your account by the link sent to your email address, and then you are good to go.
- Fiverr also ask for your phone number to confirm your verification and this also makes your account secure.
- When you set up an account on Fiverr it is by default the buyer account and you can switch it to selling mode with one click.
- To start selling, you will be needing the Gig which will be covered later that how to make it.
It’s very important to keep your profile information true and updated about you. Here’s the sample account
How to Stand Out Unique As a New Seller On Fiverr
When new freelancers start on Fiverr they miss out on some points, which don’t let their profile up to the mark. Here are some tips for your profile which will help you in ranking your profile even as a new seller:
- Get the badge of Learn from Fiverr on your profile. There is a free introductory course available Online Freelancing Essentials: be a successful Fiverr seller, I advise you to take it. It will not only give you the badge but helps you understand this freelancing platform better.
- Take relevant tests of your skills, for example: if you are a freelance writer take their English skill test, and content writing test. If you are a developer take their WordPress 5.1 test. If you are a graphic designer take their adobe related tests.
- Upload your own profile picture, which must be professional looking and clear face showing.
- Set up a complete profile don’t skip any part of it, like your education, skills, and experience or certification portion, every bit of it is important.
- Link all your social media account that you have with your profile.
- Always research your competitors and get an idea of how they are handling their profiles.
Some Good Points On Fiverr
- Most of the freelancers carry more than one skill in them. The good thing about Fiverr is you can show each one of them individually. As there is the versatility of the skills showcase option available separately in the form of the gig.
- Fiverr platform is very user friendly, they guide you step by step on everything and you can get success without any help.
- It is a good and easy platform, to begin with.
- Secure payments.
Is Fiverr Really A Free Platform?
Signing up and making an account is free, but selling and buying on their platform is not. Fiverr charge their 20% share or fee from both sellers and buyers.
- If you are a seller and you sell your gig for 10$. A client purchased your gig the amount you will receive after the order completion will be 8$. 2$ will be 20% of their commission.
- As a buyer when you purchased a gig of 10$ you have to pay Fiverr 12$. 2$ as their 20% share.
- So on any and every order Fiverr is charging 40% of its share. 20% of the buyer and 20% from the seller.
Wrapping it up, today’s discussion was just the introduction of Fiverr and the start of new series on the freelance marketplace after by freelancing series. You can check it out here. There is a lot to say about this freelancing site which I will be covering in my next upcoming articles. Topics like: How to start selling on Fiverr? What is a gig and how to make one? What skills you can sell, and many more.